From:
Valerie Pawlewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 12:34:20 -0400
I am a masters degree candidate in folklore writing a thesis on the
Adirondack Pack Basket. The Adirondack Park is a huge state park (the size
of Vermont) in northern New York, and one of the material objects strongly
associated with the region is this basket which is worn on the back. The
basket is currently made by Mohawk and Anglo makers and traditionally made
from black ash splints.

1) I am looking for good sources among researchers that I have not
considered (I have done research at the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain
Lake and at the Iroquois Museum);

2) I am looking for the oldest source/oldest pack basket;

3) I am looking for the pack basket outside of the Adirondacks--I believe
that it is made by the Mic Mac in Maine, have read accounts of a possible
Shaker version, and have seen a version made by a traditional basketmaker in
Japan.

NOTE: I am very familiar with folklorist Henry Glassie's article on the pack
basket, as well as a new video out. I am looking for archival or older
sources.

I look forward to your thoughts and suggestions,

Valerie Pawlewicz