From:
heather macdonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 09:05:38 EDT
Robert,
I am just graduating from a Museum Studies programme, and before entering
this programme, I had absolutely no idea of the work that goes on in
museums, behind the scenes, in order to create what the visitor experiences.
  I am currently working in education programmes, and I don't think that
anyone outside of the field realizes the hours of staff time, and the effort
required to offer a programme.  There is extensive research and development
required, in order to present the right information in just the right way.
Curriculums have to be adhered to, and the programmes have to be marketed in
order to draw an audience.  The presentation itself is physically and
emotionally exhausting.  Many people would argue that the work is valuable,
because of the potential for revenue.  I would like to disagree.  The amount
of revenue brought in, compared to the amount of work that goes into a
quality education programme, is not that remarkable.  But if you can teach
just one child something that they didn't know, something that makes their
face light up with enthusiasm, then that is where the value is.  You have
created a lifelong museum supporter, one who will return to museums, will
bring his or her parents, friends, and children.  You are ensuring the
future of museums.
Heather MacDonald
The Canadian Canoe Museum
www.canoemuseum.net