From:
Bob Fink <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 20:10:04 -0700
GREENWICH "LIBRARIES PROJECT"
for the  NEANDERTHAL FLUTE ESSAY

APPEAL FOR HELP FROM READERS, VISITERS
A number of facts have come to our attention:

     1) Many journals and scientific academic publications do not
publish material that already has been published on the internet due to
their publisher's requirements that material should appear first and
exclusively in their publications.
     2) Some journals also will not publish material except from
academics of universities and colleges. Many of these journals will end
up on library shelves all over the world, but without this essay.
     3) Due to servers sometimes going out of business and other
vagaries in the nature of a transient internet, this website may not be
on the internet except for a matter of years, maybe only months longer.
     Therefore. due to this webpage's relative popularity and numerous
visits to this webpage (over 1,ooo/month since April), we have come to
realize that this history-making and controversial essay should be
printed and placed in libraries around the world, remaining available to
future students, researchers, scientists and musicologists.
     Many libraries have undergone severe financial cutbacks and cannot
afford either the time it takes to download and bind large essays from
the internet, nor to purchase new materials short of the most important
items with broad general interest.
     Therefore, we are appealing to readers to donate money to subsidize
an expanded printing, binding and mailing of this essay to approximately
300 of the world's leading libraries -- to be sent free to the
libraries. (Currently we have been copying the essay one copy or two at
a time for people writing in.) We estimate the costs of an expanded
printing, including binding, mailing and handling, would be about
$3,ooo-$4,ooo.
     If you feel this work deserves its posterity, we hope you will
contribute as generously as possible.
     All contributors will recieve a detailed financial record -- of the
libraries chosen and receiving the essay, the mailing costs, and a
record of the binding/printing costs, with names/addressess of the
venders used, etc. This record will appear on the internet when the
project is completed for all interested in checking back next spring.
     Thank you in advance for all and any contributions. Include your
email address if you have one. The printing and distribution plans are
hoped to be completed by Winter-Spring of 1998.
-- C. Norton, Greenwich Co.
PLEASE MAIL & MAKE OUT CONTRIBUTIONS TO:
GREENWICH
516 Ave. K South, Saskatoon,
Sasktachewan,
Canada S7M 2E2