From:
Pamela Sezgin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 20:10:44 EDT
Robert,

In my experience, at small and medium sized museums in semi-urban areas
(not like Philly!),  admissions do not cover expenses.  ENDOWMENTS are
essential
to support staffing and basic operational expenses.   Grants, especially from
the State Humanities and Arts Councils and contracts for services with local
government
(espeically school boards) can support educational programs.   EDUCATIONAL
PROGRAMS ARE A SERVICE FUNCTION OF MUSEUMS.    Some archives,
such as the Georgia Historical Society, in Savannah also are big on education
prorgramming, not just providing research services.

I am working as executive director of a rapidly expanding small museum.  We
are supporting our education programs via contracts for services and
corporate support.
Since the schools systems have a lot of competition for their dollars,
limited budgets, less and less time for field trips, and real problems since
gasoline prices have sky rocketed in the past 6 months,   we are finding
local businesses who will sponsor the field trips for a particular school.
The business pays for the bus transportation for a certain number of students
as well as for the museum's $4 per student admission charge or the program
charge (when we use contract personnel for special programs which ranges from
$100 to $250 per presentation).   That way, everyone is happy.  We are also
linking each school program to our state's required curriculum.   That way,
school administrators will see that museum programs are worthwhile and they
can justify the time away from their classrooms.

VALUE?   Museums are education.  That's what we are about in my view.  We
preserve old artifacts so that children and future generations can learn from
them.
We preserve our archival collections so that students of all ages can utilize
them
as a resource. We bring history, or science or art, to life.  We create
meaningful experiences via our programming.  We are SERVICE organizations,
not profit making entities.

We can operate as a "business" only in terms of trying to boost earned income
via book signings, the museum store (full of educationally-related products),
memberships, and sponsorships (a careful type of marketing for the thinking
person).
We try to break even and sock away a little bit for emergencies.   But
MUSEUMS, unlike their friends the attractions, are not motivated by the
bottom line, "making money" -- we exist to serve (the all inclusive,
intergenerational public) and protect (our heritage).     We are stewards
with this important mission.

Relate your comments to your institution's mission statement.  I'm sure the
Balch has a powerful, compelling reason to exist.  America is the land of
immigrants --
your value statements can tie into good, old American values that brought the
immigrants here and their story is one of building this great nation.  That
should
appeal to your board members!

Don't take offense, fellow listers, I know I'm preaching to the converted!
If I'm stating the obvious yet again, forgive me!

Pamela Sezgin
Georgia Mountains History Museum