From:
Susannah West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 15:48:44 -0400
> One excellent hands-on exhibit is "What if I Couldn't?"  It allows, via
> lenses, a wheelchair, phone distortion tapes and a few other modules,
> people with average abilities to experience first-hand what some
> different abilities feel like.

Could you tell me more about this exhibit?  My museum has a very tight
budget, and our main concession to visitors with disabilities is a
wheelchair ramp at the entrance, and photos in the hallway of some of the
items in the upstairs rooms.  I would very much like to offer visitors who
can't go upstairs a "computerized tour" but our board doesn't want anything
of a "nonhistorical" nature to be introduced to the museum.  We have an
introductory video that we show visitors, and our board has very mixed
emotions about it, even though they all agree that it is a very good
interpretive tool.

Susannah West
John Rankin House, Ripley, OH