From:
Susan Funk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 14:59:12 -0500
IMHO, volunteering is incredibly valuable, but not necessarily in a linear
way.  I began volunteering as a teenager for an environmental organization.
Although I eventually pursued a career in a history museum, my prior
experience in workng with children and with the public doubtlessly helped
me land an entry level position.  Later, when my children were young and I
was not "working," I volunteered in a wide variety of roles at a number of
non-profit organizations.  Again, the volunteer experience did not offer a
direct connection to my current position, but it did provide me with a
range of experience, information, and a network of colleagues that I draw
upon almost daily.

In addition to pursuing volunteer opportunities, it can be helpful to be
willing to start at an entry level position--selling tickets, leading
tours, data entry, or whatever is available, at an institution that shares
your goals and values.  Although some of these positions may not seem to
meet your aspirations, they do offer you an opportunity to study the
institution's operations from an important perspective.  If you are
observant and perceptive, you can absorb valuable information about the
ways in which the mission is played out (or not...) on a day-to-day basis.

I would add however,  volunteer or entry level jobs should be taken
seriously-- give the position, as well as your fellow volunteers/workers,
the respect that you  expect for yourself.    If you are only doing in to
"put in your time," this will quickly become evident to your colleagues and
employer.  They will be less likely to hire you or to provide glowing
recommendations,  and you will miss some of the most important learning
aspects of the experience.

Good luck to all who are currently in the job market--it may take time to
find the right job at the right place, but it is well worth the struggle!