From:
Joy Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 20:38:02 -0800
Hi -  As the interesting discussion on internships winds
down, it seems like a good time to jump in with some
questions to the list on the attitudes of mid-career
museum workers toward continuing professional education (CPE),
and the factors which motivate and/or deter your
participation.

I am in the midst of a six-month study leave from my role
as Director of the Cultural Resource Management Program
at the University of Victoria, and am fortunate to have
a scholarship from the Canadian Museums Association to
undertake research in this area. Up to now I have been
reviewing literature relating to training and professional
development in the museum field, professionalism, adult
education with particular reference to motivation and
deterrence, work place change, and mid-life and mid-career
transitions, as well as the increasing range of
"self-discovery, self-help" works that address the
boomers' late transition to adulthood! Relatively
little attention has been paid in museum literature
to issues of motivation and deterrence, so I am looking
forward to a series of interviews over the next two months
in the hope that I can get beyond the immediate concerns
about money and time to other factors which influence
peoples' inclination to maintain and/or develop competence
through both formal and informal professional development
activities.

As input from participants on this list would also be
fascinating, I would love to hear - either on or off
the list - your reflections on the role of CPE in museum
work, the kinds of CPE that would be of value to you, the
formats that are most convenient, the tangible and intangible
rewards, and the numerous factors which make it difficult to
participate. I would also like to hear about any related
research that is underway or about any related unpublished
materials.

Thanks for your input!

Joy Davis
604 477 0072