From:
John Hale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 09:07:15 -0500
Mr Bainbridge,

As a Texan, I feel you are incorrect.  Texas, simply by its size, encompasses several cultures.  While West Texas does not feel that it is "Southern,"  East Texas does.  Northern Texas feels closer to the classic western culture, cattle drives and the like.  Southern Texas is very Spanish in its outlook.  And Central Texas, my home, is a blend of all of it.  Many of the philosophies, both good and bad, assigned to classic "Southern Culture" can by found in Texas, but Hollywood and popular myth have assigned us a culture some of us do not agree with.  We are not all "Bubbas", nor do we scream in rage at the NEA or love football and pro wrestling.

John C. Hale II
Scott & White Archives & Log Cabin Medical Museum
Temple, Texas