From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 May 2004 08:00:07 -0700
Okay, I am now officially a bit frustrated. This year my historic house got
about 80 kids for the two days we held the Easter Egg Hunt. Relatively easy
money since the event itself doesn't take much prep (other than stuff candy
into over 2000 eggs which volunteers do) or effort to actually work it. So I
know the kids are out there.

We handed out flyers about our Hands on History Day to all of the kids at the
Egg Hunt, did a mass mailing of 600 postcards for the event, I took flyers to a
Boy Scout event I went to earlier in the year and we had big signs on the road.
I thought attendance would be at least as good as the Egg Hunt. Nope. Only
about 30 kids showed throughout the day, a lot of them came towards the end of
the day as well.

Granted, our advertising didn't get put in the papers this time like they
usually do which was a bit annoying. But you would think that with the flyers
and mailing, we would have at least 40 or 50 kids.

So how come 80 kids will come out to an Easter Egg hunt on a rainy and cold day
but won't come out on a nice, warm day (okay a bit too warm for this time of
the year but certainly not stiffling hot) for a Hands on History Day that's a
cheaper price? Everyone who came had a great time so it's not like our
activities were lame.

I have to admit that I'm starting to agree with our director about doing
"educational" programs that take more effort and bring in less money than a tea
or a murder mystery. And we aren't looking for scads of money off of
educational programs but when we can get 50 reservations for a tea in 36 hours,
it's a bit frustrating to do hours and hours of work planning Hands on History
for a smattering of kids that come through - not to mention sweating all day
long in a period outfit. (Note, do not wear a Victorian outfit lined in acetate
on a hot day. Big oops there. I should have done Colonial. Oh well.)

Any marketing suggestions? Programming suggestions? Goon squads we can borrow
to get people through our doors?

Thanks in advance!

Deb