From:
Tim McShane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 19:00:24 -0500
Mr. Lopez:

I have used several collections management database programs, and the ones
I've liked the best have been ones that were custom made using Microsoft
Access (although I do confess I am biased towards Access).  The benefits of
a custom-made system is that you can design it to record any data you want,
and you can add to it or modify it as you need.  I have found that some
pre-packaged database applications are too rigid in data fields that you can
utilize, or types of queries you can run.  The main drawback of designing
your own database out of Access is that you need someone with expertise in
database development; you certainly seem to have that.

From a data-entry point of view, it is much easier to have all data fields
built into a database from the beginning--otherwise, you may have to go back
over your records several times to update existing records after new data
fields have been added.  I would suggest that you take some time to decide
which data fields you will need to adequately describe your collections,
build them into your existing applications, and use that as your permanent
database (for help in determining what types of fields museums commonly use
to record collections information, you might want to check out Artefacts
Canada's database website at
http://daryl.chin.gc.ca/Artefacts/e_MasterLayout.cgi?db=1).  The "bells and
whistles" (queries, forms, reports, etc.) can be developed as you need them.

Certainly, MS Access is more than adequate as a basis for a top-notch
collections management system.

Cheers,

Tim McShane, Collections Manager
West Parry Sound District Museum