From:
Terry Beamsley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 13:32:52 -0400
I agree with HBC, that "permanent" marking is not the best practice, but
sometimes a paper tag can be problematic as well (tearing, fading, visibility
on displayed items).  We number our vehicles in the same fashion as many
other objects in our collection - by painting the number using appropriate
reversible media (usually a layer of soluvar and white ink) in a consistent
location (left rear taillight area for automobiles, on the metal mounting
ring not the plastic light cover; lower left body for horse drawn vehicles).
 Now, assigning the number itself is another question - particularly vis a
vis parts, an issue that we're actively discussing in procedures meetings
here.

Terry Beamsley
(formerly Terry Grose of the Strecker Museum Complex, Baylor U.)
Registrar
Henry Ford Museum & Greenfield Village
313/271-1620 x 575