From:
JCA Boeyens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 1996 13:59:46 +0200
>>> "Eugene W. Dillenburg" <[log in to unmask]> 8/August/1996
03:51pm >>>wrote:
I am a staunch defender of visitor research.  I see no problem with hiring
professionals to do a complicated, highly technical job.  The problems
arise
when we (museums) do not appreciate the complexity, do not work
closely with
the research firms to make sure they understand our unique situation
and
needs.  One certainly wouldn't just hand a building contractor a blueprint
and never check up on their progress; by the same token one must work
closely with contracted researchers to assure a good final product.

Just my 2c.

Absolutely-but a problem does arise when museeum people who know
nothing about research work together with survey people who know
nothing about museums-just defending my right to a job here. I've seen
an enormous amount of money waster this way. I would love to see
museums working closely with contractors on everything but it does take
someone with a bit of savvy in both fields to make things work.

Kathryn Mathers
Pretoria