From:
Uri Bruck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 1995 22:23:57 GMT
One thing we should all be wary of are all those providers who promise to
tell us the number of 'hits' a web page gets.
The numbers only indicate how many times a document was ordered from the
server, but once the document has been to the end-user the server no longer
has any information on how the page is used, how long is it being viewed, or
even the speed of the connection the user has.
There is also no way of knowing how many of those came from the same person.
If we make the mistake of trusting the number of 'hits' we'll get a warped
picture of many people visiting on-line, only a small number of which are
actually coming to the museum.

The point is - the number of hits per page is not a reliable indicator.