Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 22:31:20 EST
I work in a library located within a museum that deals with a single
historical subject. There are several similar institutions around the country.
While we all duplicate each others collections to some extent -- we all hold
unique materials. Bringing these collections together (intellectually) will
serve researchers better than we are can individually at present.

I am looking for people who have experience working on collaborative projects
between two or more small museum libraries. We hope to create access tools to
our mutual manuscript, imprint, photographic, and ephemera collections that
would eventually appear to be the holdings of a single library. The long-term
goal is on-line access. Neither institution is technologially ignorant but
both are limited in staff resources to manage technology that requires too
much tending. I guess we are looking for advice on how to be little guys that
look like big guys.

We are not yet looking for contact with individuals that have expertise in the
parts -- cooperative cataloguing -- on-line databases -- the web &c &c, but
rather leads on people who have conceptualized or managed the whole
collaboration/merger.