From:
Susan Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 09:23:46 -0800
Hello David.
 I have been having a similar dilemma with learning objectives for
informal learning activities. My understanding has always been that in a
formal lesson, the learning objective needs to be measurable, and ties
into the assessment and state/national standards for that lesson. So, an
objective like, "Visitor will appreciate the importance of...." is not
really an objective you can measure -- how do you measure appreciation?
I would re-write this "Visitor can list reasons why X is important to
him/her (or his/her culture)." or something like that.
In an informal setting, I begin to wonder if this kind of formal
learning objective even makes sense. But I think it does. When I was at
the Seattle Art Museum a few years ago, they began training their
volunteer docents to use assessments (which means there has to be formal
objectives that drives them) with their "informal learning" school tours
of the galleries to great success.

I am interested in this research on free-choice learning outcomes. If
you could send me any references, I would appreciate it.

Susan Edwards
Writer/Editor, Web
J. Paul Getty Trust
310.440.7510