From:
Jeff Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 1996 23:37:26 +0100
I am currently involved with a voluntary run independent industrial museum
site in the UK.  The museum exists because of the survival of an iron forge.
The forge has a long history being in production from the 17th century
through to circa 1908.

Unfortunately this natural focus for the site has been largely over shadowed
by a collection of steam engines, that have no historical connection to the
site.  I have been asked by the custodian to try and redress this imbalance
by producing an exhibition outlining the history and development of the
forge.  I would therefore be grateful for any help anyone can offer in terms
of themes and possible content for the exhibition.

I would especially like to hear from anyone who has prepared similar
exhibtions for industrial museums, with regard to the level of technical
background information that should be included.

I have no formal museum training, my background being as an archaeologist
and surveyor.

Best wishes,

Jeff Morris AMInstCES PIFA     Email [log in to unmask]
Wortley Top Forge Archaeological Survey
Wortley Top Forge Industrial Museum
Wortley Village
Wortley
Sheffield
S30 7DN

A Research Project of the South Yorkshire Industrial History
Society (formerly The Sheffield Trades Historical Society)
                 Registered Charity No. 506339