From:
Jerry Symonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2007 08:28:17 -0400
Hi,

I have been reading the postings on membership categories with interest and
tend to agree with those who have stated that this is not an exact science ...

Clearly "membership" can mean different things to different people. The
Heritage sites I work for charges admission for entry so our membership
scheme is based on an annual charge in return for which members can visit the
palaces as often as they like and receive discounts on retail, catering and
certain lectures.

Here's a couple of performance indicators I look at:

1. Members visits. We "sell" our membership on the basis that once you have
made two or more visits you have covered the cost of your membership: but
how many visits do members actually make? We now track these at each of
our palaces. This gives us a feel of how well used the scheme is.

2. Ancillary spend. As I mentioned above members get a discount in our
stores/shops and in our on-site cafes/restaurants. We monitor this spend to
see (a) how much it is costing us in discount PLUS how much extra ancillary
spend we are generating through membership.

Of course these are not the only performance indicators we look at but two
which I don't recall seeing mentioned in this discussion so far? Sorry if I missed
reference to that...

Regards,

Jerry Symonds
Historic Royal Palaces