From:
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 1994 11:29:53 -0700
I'm replying to the list, since I think that it is important for all.
   In order to document where things are in a room, it is best to photograph
the room from all angles, and then draw a diagram showing where everything
currently is. If the room is crammed, it might be best to draw a series of
maps/diagrams in order to fully document everything.
   Then, as artifacts are removed, full proveniance should be noted, i.e.
saddletree from far north corner (see map #x). Or, the artifacts can be
numbered on the diagram and then marked when they are removed (the markings
can be small numbers on the bottom or back of the artifact). We mark items
with white-out and then use a Micron Pigma pen with waterproof ink, and cover
the ink with a coat of clear nail polish. The beauty of this marking system is
that it can be removed with acetone.
        I hope that this is helpful. If you have any questions, let me know.

Anita Cohen-Williams; Reference Services; Hayden Library
Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ  85287-1006
PHONE: (602) 965-4579              FAX: (602) 965-9169
INTERNET: [log in to unmask] Owner: HISTARCH