From:
Robbin Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jun 1994 01:44:48 -0400
Just as a guidepost, movies in NYC are now $8.00.

As a member of AAM I don't pay anything to go to museums
and I go weekly. Prior to that I would go when there was
something I wanted to see, maybe once every three months
or so. But prior to that I had a corporate membership and
I'd go weekly.

When in Europe I'm too dumb to figure out the currency
exchange so I don't care what I'm paying until I get my
American Express bill.

Seems to me that museum fees are based on the fact that
museums are still considered tourist attractions and
entertainment venues instead of integral parts of the
community. When museums become resources, like libraries or
utitlities, the community will pay for them the way they pay
for libraries and utitlities.

Robbin Murphy
NYU/Museum Studies
ArtNet (trying to make museums meaningful in cyberspace)