From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 16:05:06 -0500
At 01:32 PM 2/23/98 GMT, you wrote:
>     We have been asked to loan an artifact which includes
>     eagle feathers to a museum in Canada.  The US Fish &
>     Wildlife Service tells us that the regulations at 50
>     CFR 22, especially subsection 22.1, prohibits the
>     export or import of eagles, eagle parts, or eagle
>     feathers across the international border between the US
>     and Canada.  Does anyone on the list have any
>     experience with this matter?  When I read the
>     regulations, I don't see any exception for museums, but
>     would be glad to hear from anyone who has dealt with
>     this before.

I know that falconers can get written permission to transport their live
birds across the boarder.  Basically that entails a bunch of legal-type
paperwork from the US and Canadian governments stating that you are not
going to try and sell your bird or any parts of it, etc.

I would think that since your object will be on loan and not for sale that
a few phone calls to Fish and Wildlife on the US side will get you the
proper paperwork needed.

I think laws are in effect for the protection of illegally smuggled eagle
parts which can fetch a high price on the black market.  I don't think
every eagle that decides to migrate up to Canada has to check with the US
government first.  :)

Deb Fuller