From:
Peter Holben Wehr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 1995 08:44:02 -0400
>"Gallery Software wanted" has mutated into "Kiosk interfaces urgently required"
>
>Peter Holben Wehr <[log in to unmask]> writes
>
>> There used to be hypertext programs available on the Mac, but I have not
>> heard of any recently... I have never liked Director for this type of
>>problem.
>> Director is great for presentations, but I have always found it clumsy at
>> best for information handling.
>
>There are Hypercard (damn the C) programs for creating HTML documents, also
>found at Netscape (home.mcom.com/). In some way or another, forge the HTML
>documents to navigate kioskspace and use Netscape to view it on the local
>system. A bit clunky now, but development should be rapid. And when you're
>ready, just spring onto the Web.

I am aware of a few HyperCard HTML editors, but the original request was
for simple solutions and I didn't think modifying any of them or altering
Director was as easy as just dealing with HyperCard's or SuperCard's
hypertext features ;-).  I am working on set of HTML authoring tools in
SuperCard (which I will probably later convert to C++) to generate,
indexes, glossaries, picture-bases etc.  If there is interest I might be
able to adapt some of this work for a kiosk browser, although I have a
feeling that someone will beat me to it.  The advantage of a SuperCard or
HyperCard kiosk browser would be that it could easily be modified to deal
with non-HTML components.  Food for thought.

Another way to deal with a database kiosk is by using 4th Dimension as a
development environment.  Besides being a great database environment it has
pretty sophisticated interface tools and you can xcmnd your way out of most
other problems.

Peter Wehr

Peter Holben Wehr
[log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask]
Museum & Education Technology Consultant
(718) 721-3761 * c/o Debra Parkinson * 28-26 47th St Apt 5 * Astoria NY 11103