From:
Jill Chancey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:07:27 -0500
Here, short and sweet, is our newest "dress standards" policy:

"LRMA is a public service business and cultural institution.  The Museum
has a highly visible image and the staff is expected to be professional
in their work, attitude, and dress habits."

The previous dress code, written in 1988 (though sounding like 1958)
specified pantyhose with skirts, no trousers for women, ties on men at
all times, and other absurdities, in an institution where you might find
yourself climbing a ladder, hauling a crate, swinging a hammer, or
helping a schoolkid throw a clay pot on any given day.   Never mind the
very notion of pantyhose in August in Mississippi at all.  Anyway, it's
to the point, open to interpretation, and it's above all, "a written
policy."

At the very least, you might point out that flip-flops and other flimsy
shoes are a safety liability for behind-the-scenes workers.   I had one
intern who kept showing up in stilettos, which aren't exactly the best
art-wrangling shoes.  One day, I would like to find a way to tactfully
tell my college-aged interns that I do not wish to see their underwear,
butt-cracks, or lower-back tattoos peeking out of their low-riding
jeans.  It seems that the low-riders are on their way out, so maybe this
will no longer be a problem.   Anyway, good luck with your half-dressed
employees.

--
Jill R. Chancey, PhD
Curator