From:
KATHLEEN HUTTON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 16:37:52 -0800
Dear Jessica,
  You are certainly welcome to apply to our museum for an internship, both
unpaid (but valuable experience) and one competitive position with an
honorarium (September--September).  Our next openings would be for the summer.
However, it sounds as though you feel frustrated in your job/internship
search.  This is when you have to develop strategies which will be useful to
you in landing any job.  Do your homework, network and be flexible.  While you
are still a student, I also urge you to get advice from your faculty advisors
as well as your alumni office.  Ask them to give you some names of alums in
the art field.  You should ask then follow up with these contacts to interview
them about the field and get advice about graduate programs.  Don't forget to
thank them.  You may not get a job out of this but you will learn a lot!  Most
college campuses have books such as Peterson's guide to Internships.  Join the
National Art Education Association (NAEA) and/or American Association of
Museums (AAM) while you are still a student, which is the cheapest membership
level, and try to attend the national meetings if possible--this year NAEA is
in Washington DC and AAM is in Cleveland.  Consider finding a paying
job--either part-time or evenings/weekends and volunteer at a museum.  If a
museum isn't interested, try another one.  We generally need more volunteer
help in the morning and for a block of time to be useful.  When you start
looking into graduate programs, check out the archives of museum-l at
http://home.ease.lsoft.com/archives/museum-l.html

good luck!

Kathleen F. G. Hutton, coordinator of education
Reynolda House Museum of American Art
Box 11765, Winston-Salem, NC 27116-1765
phone 336-725-5325  fax 336-721-0991
on the Web at reynoldahouse.org