From:
Chris Woodson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 20:21:18 EDT
I work in this type of museum, and feel like I'm sometimes walking the line
between theme park and museum.  We have lots of gadgets and
gizmos......interactives, etc.  and are constantly directed to use the term
exhibit hall, rather than museum.  I do get frustrated sometimes at this
concept of "history lite"  - all the facts with half the calories or
whatever.  But we do have a balance of interactive hands-on stuff and "real"
artifacts, and is nice to be able to reach visitors who might otherwise be
bored with a traditional museum.

I think working in an interactive environment sometimes challenges us to try
harder to emphasize to our visitors the history behind the gizmos.  If we
don't get these points across, then it really does become a theme park or
video arcade.  I'm always disappointed when I read comments in our guest book
that say things like "loved the duck shooting game" or "the talking pirate
was kewl!" but it there are people who are genuinely interested in the
history we have to offer, and it shows when you talk to them.

I do resent the snobbery exhibited by those who decry non-collecting museums,
even though I understand that mentality.  We are a different type of museum,
but I think our goals are all same:  to educate the public.  Please keep this
in mind before rejecting non-collecting facilites.

Chris Woodson

Museum-L" (without the quotes).