From:
Sarah Wood-Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:29:52 -0500
Here's a question for the list.  When people ask your opinion, as a
museum professional, about something like an appropriate treatment
for their paintings, do you find that they quite often ignore it?
For example, in this case I expressed doubts about the
appropriateness of the treatment, suggested that they ask lots of
questions about methods and materials to be used, tell the
practitioner that they needed to get board approval and I would then
help them to decide whether it was the right course of action.  And I
offered to help them find a qualified conservation professional --
even e-mailed them a list from the AIC web page.  Instead they
authorized this treatment and left the paintings because "they
sounded like they knew what they were talking about."  I wonder why
that is?