From:
Terri Bedore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2021 13:49:12 -0600
Hi Anna!

Pricing factors seems to vary between transcription companies.

- If it’s a digital file with undamaged audio, then they usually quote based on length of recording or number of words.
- If it’s on a physical media (like cassette) with undamaged audio, then they will often require a fee to convert to a digital file (just make sure you require they send back the cassette!).
- If your audio file has damage (like was on or converted from a damaged cassette or scratched cd) or heavy “noise” (background noise), I have seen pricing based on the hourly factor. This is so the transcriptionist can play back the audio over and over again to get as much as possible.

Hope this helps!

-Terri
Terri Bedore
former museum director
current website developer for nonprofits