From:
"Tenuth, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2012 08:32:57 -0400
At the Indiana State Museum, we encourage personal collecting because it enhances professional knowledge and judgment and because personal collecting itself is not unethical.  However, in our personal collecting we may not interfere with the lines of communication leading to the acquisition of artifacts or specimens by the museum, whether for personal or financial benefit.  There can be no competition between the museum and an individual staff member for artifacts or specimens needed by the museum.  Any item that is readily available in the retail world may be acquired by an individual if it is not sought through the museum's collecting strategy or if the museum has already declined to acquire the artifact or specimen. Under certain conditions, the employee may be required to disclose their personal collecting in writing.  There are other, finer points that we have to adhere to as well, but in general this is the policy of the museum and has been for twenty years.  I am not aware of there ever having been a violation of this policy.

Jeff Tenuth

Natural History Collection Manager

Indiana State Museum

650 W. Washington St.