From:
Peter Rebernik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 09:11:32 +0100
Of course, I am not sure, if the European understanding of copyright laws
is the same as in the states, and what are the correct legal expressions,
but here in Europe the following is true:

There are two different rights: (1) the copyright and (2) the right of
usufruct.

(1) is the ownership of the creative work and this cannot not be sold to
anyone. It is always a person (a painter, an author, a photographer etc).
In this way it is assured that the creator is in "mental" contact with his
work. The holder of this right can always ask that his name is put next to
his work (in proper form, of course).

(2) is the right to use the creative work in part (only for a certain time,
for certain goals, in a certain form) or in total. This right can be
transferred or sold.

Maybe, this helps.

Peter Rebernik, currently in the Republic of Macedonia, south of the Kosovo