From:
Eric Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 13:02:12 -0500
Hi, all--

I'm chiming in a bit late as well.  I just wanted to add another comment or
two from the web designer's perspective.  I've had success designing web
sites using Dreamweaver and then turning over maintenance to the staff
after--and this is the key step--*after* giving them additional training
(written into the contract).  In particular, I set them up with another
Macromedia product called Macromedia Contribute, which gives them a simple
interface with their web site and allows someone with that minimal training
to maintain the pages.  That way the staff doesn't need to be HTML experts
themselves, nor do they have to go through the trouble of learning a
relatively complicated web editing program such as Dreamweaver or FrontPage.
Contribute is inexpensive and usually gives them the content control they're
looking for to make daily/weekly changes.

I also wanted to echo the earlier comment to be careful of a designer who
wants to produce a slick Flash-driven site for you.  Flash breaks one of the
cardinal rules of good web design, that users should always be able to tell
where they've been (not to mention the accessibility hazards it poses, as
others have mentioned).  Without links that change colors or the like, it's
very easy to forget whether you've visited a particular page.  Flash has its
place, no question, but designers need to be judicious in their approach and
remember that it is always content that drives design and not vice-versa.
Just as in the real world, visitors come to see the content of the site--and
all the fancy paint schemes and signage in the world won't keep them there
if the exhibits are empty.

I'm always leery of entrusting too much to a volunteer, unless it's somebody
who has proven themselves over the long haul--it's too easy to let paying
gigs or the rest of life distract somebody from maintaining something that
they are doing "only" as a volunteer.  I've been that volunteer, and I know
that I didn't do as good a job as I should have--lesson learned.  Even if
you pay minimally, you should consider paying--so that you establish that
this is something you value.  A contract should be drawn up that reinforces
your expectations.

It helps if the folks charged with hiring a web designer (whether it's a
pro, a student, or whatnot) have some general grounding on what makes good
site design.  I recommend web usability guru Jakob Nielsen at
http://www.useit.com/ for guidance on a host of web usability questions
(good design principles, navigation principles, etc.).

Hope this helps!  I love this stuff.

All my best,

--Eric

Eric D. M. Johnson
Proprietor
The Village Factsmith Historical Research & Consulting, and
The Cybernetick Inkwell Web Design & Development
http://www.factsmith.com/