From:
"Naina P. Mistry" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 1996 11:07:57 -0400
I am doing research for an online exhibition we are developing here
at the Smithsonian on material culture.  This exhibition will examine
household possessions and encourage visitors to compare the way they
live with the lifestyles of people in other socio-economic groups
within the United States, in other parts of the world, and in other
periods of American history.  We will show how objects provide a
window into our daily lives and reveal a story of personal,
financial, or utilitarian value.  My focus is on the historical
aspect.  I would like to recreate several historic households that
reflect the variety of socio-economic levels, geographical
variations, and cultural backgrounds that existed in this country
over the past 200+ years.

I am looking for information about collections of household objects #
preferably complete collections for a home. I am also interested in
any information on the types of families that would have lived in
these homes and any oral histories, family journals, or other
archival materials that would describe how the objects were used by
the families and help provide a narrative thread for the exhibition.

Additionally, if you know of any historic homes or living history
museums we may be able to use as a model for an historic household in
the exhibition, or if you have any suggestions for other people or
organizations I should contact, please let me know.  As this
exhibition will be online # on the World Wide Web # and not in a
physical museum setting, we would not need to borrow any objects.  We
plan to use photographs and 3-D models, but we would of course credit
the sources of our information.

Please respond off the list via e-mail ([log in to unmask]) or at the
address below.  Thank you for your assistance.

Naina Mistry
Naina P. Mistry                                 TEL:    (202) 357-4797
Environmental Awareness Program FAX:    (202) 786-2557
Smithsonian Institution
3123 Ripley Center, MRC 705             E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Washington, D.C.  20560