From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 17:02:01 +0100
On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Rosenfield, Jamie wrote:

> Our Museum contracts out for all conservation services. Our insurance policy
> states the policy will not insure against loss or damage sustained to or
> resulting from any repairing, restoration or retouching process.
>
> For other museums that contract for conservation work, how much insurance do
> they require the conservator to carry? How do museums determine the amount
> of insurance they require the conservator to carry?

=========================

Jamie:

Our recent comprehensive review of museum insurance for the UK Museums &
Galleries Commission confirmed that insurance for the actual PROCESS of
conservation is pretty well uninsurable world-wide.

Your freelance restorers & conservators should carry professional
negligence indemnity insurance to at the very least the full insured value
of the highest value items they handle.  However, if something that a
fully competent and careful could not reasonably have forecast goes wrong
there's no professional negligence and therefore no insurance cover.

Patrick J. Boylan
(Professor of Heritage Policy and Management)

City University, London,
Department of Arts Policy and Management
Frobisher Crescent, Barbican, London EC2Y 8HB, UK;
phone: +44-20-7477.8750, fax:+44-20-7477.8887;
Home: "The Deepings", Gun Lane, Knebworth, Herts. SG3 6BJ, UK;
phone & fax: +44-1438-812.658;
E-mail: [log in to unmask];  Web site: http://www.city.ac.uk/artspol/