From:
Steven Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 16:30:42 -0500
IN order to "make them pay" you are going to have to prove that you are a
superior employee as compared to the field.  How does one measure job
performance in a museum.  Does a superior museum employee catalog more items
in a month than a lesser employee, design exhibits that get highly praised
by the museum community or do they do exhibits which get high attendance
number and increase museum funds.  The first example is silly, the second
sounds great but don't forget that the public has to be pleased also or we
do not accomplish our mission, and the last two can lead into a deadly
spiral of sensationalism in exhibits.  In order to increase salaries then
the work of an employee has to be evaluated, careful evaluation based upon
the mission of the institution is difficult.

Steven Bush

P.S.    As for an action to take, when you leave your position to attain a
higher paying one, whether in or outside of the field the institution will
realize that they either made a mistake or that the salary meets the job
market because someone took the job and performed just as well.  AS long as
people are willing to work for that pay they will keep offering.  In a sense
we are not biting the hand that feeds us we are giving it a manicure.