From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 08:07:50 -0800
Stephanie,

In my experience you exhaust EVERY internal resource and sources of
information first, before approaching anyone outside of your
intitution about an issue like this that could have legal and
liability issues. I would not only check the registrar's files but
also see if there is any other source of information - e.g. photos of
it on exhibit (that may show the label), correspondance with the
lender, or oral interviews with staff and former staff. Also, really
go over the object and look for evidence of an accession number, old
labels, or other identifying features that would make this
individually identifable. Try to clarify this as precisely as you can
so that when you have to contact someone outside of your intitution
you know what you don't know.

And perhaps it would be best to approach the other instituion first -
as they are more likely to have some record of the object on their end
- and either veryify or eliminate them in this situation before
approaching the descendant who is claiming it (you already know where
they stand on this).

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey