From:
Allan Mccollum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 13:48:36 EDT
Dear Roxanne,

The Museum of Modern Art has just mounted an exhibition called "The Museum as
Muse: Artists Reflect" .... included are many artists who do "Museum
intervention,"  as you're calling it, and who have histories of working in
this area that go at least back into the 60's, the singularly most important
practioners being Daniel Buren, Michael Asher, and Marcel Broodthaers, with
Louise Lawler as an important  second generation figure (some would include
myself here in the list somewhere), followed by the extremely important
figure of Andrea Fraser, and Mark Dion, Christopher Williams, Fred Wilson,
and others (I'm sure I'm forgetting many names here). Often these artists are
considered to be working in an area referred to as "instutional critique." I
myself have duplicated many objects from specific museum collections in
plaster and cement, including the Carnegie Museum of Natural History, the
College of Eastern Utah Prehistoric Museum, and the Vesuvius Museum in
present-day Pompei. For the Utah museum I duplicated their entire collection
of 44 dinosaur footprint fossil, many of which were enormous, and showed them
in art museums all throughout Europe, etc.

Check out the MoMA site at:

http://www.moma.org/exhibitions/muse/

Check the "subsite" area, and so forth.... handsome (he is!) Fred Wilson has
does a wonderful web project for this show, by the way.....

Allan McCollum

PS:  Actually, all the artists working in this area are quite attractive!

Museum-L" (without the quotes).