From:
Kevin MacLean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 16:36:36 -0600
Hello all,

I'm on a question roll these days.  This one will be the last for awhile - I promise.

As part of our cataloguing procedure, we assign our artifacts an insurable value.  However, we have no mechanism in place to ensure that objects catalogued in the 70s are maintained with current insurable values.  For example, we have an oak, stacking barristers' bookcase from the 20s, catalogued with a value of $48 CDN in 1964.  $48 remains as its current insurable value.

How do your institutions ensure that objects continue to have present day values when it requires a re-assessment of tens of thousands of objects on an annual basis? I have an idea as to how it could be done, but want to hear other institutions' solutions to this universal challenge.  Look forward to hearing your answers.

Thanks,

Kevin MacLean
Galt Museum and Archives
Lethbridge, AB, Can.