From:
Tom Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 1997 23:40:12 -0700
This post is an appeal to the preservation community.  We are a newly
formed non-profit composed of local citizens who want to protect a local
landmark.  The San Gregorio House has been on the National Register since
1977.  It is, according to our knowledge and the description, the "last
country inn of its kind in the state of California". Located in the last
agricultural district in San Mateo County, it is an historic jewel.

Two years ago, Mildred Bell who inherited the property from her husband,
Frank "Pat" Bell, passed away.  My husband, whose family has farmed this
valley since 1892, has worked for the Bell Family since the 1960s.  He
has operated the original saloon on and off over the past 20 years.  When
Mrs. Bell died, the property which has changed very little in the last
100 years, was vandalized and valuable artifacts from the original hotel
days were stolen.  Since then, he has been appointed by the estate to
caretake and actively farms the property and operates an history exhibit
at the old saloon.

When the property was listed for sale, it was our hope that an historic
preservation entity (county, state or??) would bid to purchase it.  The
property has been marketed as a potential B&B, however, the investment to
make it commercially viable for a sensible buyer is prohibitive.

Worse, this type of marketing does not serve the best interest of the
inherent historic value of San Gregorio House as a living history exhibit.
Much will be lost and little gained by a purchase which does not address
its important place in our past and make it available to the public.

We formed a non-profit educational entity to enable us to purchase the
property through a conservation or tax-incentive sale. We have raised
over $100,000 towards this end and made an appeal and numerous cash
purchase offers to the heirs.  Unfortunately, we cannot compete with the
real estate marketing mentality and are discouraged.

Is there anyone in our national preservation community that can offer us
advice or encouragement at this crucial time?  This is an appeal to save
a very precious place.  There's much more to the story which we will be
happy to share.

Please visit our website at: http://www.crl.com/~toma/

"to protect and preserve..."

Kathleen Armstrong

Tom Armstrong   [log in to unmask]  Sequera Ranch s.1892  San Gregorio, CA
Barnyard Technology--- Ideas for tomorrow -> from yesterday's scrap.
         4th -> 5th gen. on family farm. Can Ag Sustain?
   A ghost town fights its way back.. http://www.crl.com/~toma/