From:
Audra Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 2010 09:41:20 -0500
I agree that any time that deaccession funds are used for anything
except collections there is an ethical question.
Now, to add fuel to this fire, there have been occasions where
deaccessioning and "misuse" of funds (aka not directly on acquisition of
new or the more suspect conservation of old objects) has allowed the
institution to survive to serve the public and to preserve other items
in its collection.  Sometimes institutions, like individuals, need to
operate outside "best practices" or even "acceptable practices" to
survive.
Would it be better for the institution to close its doors, divest
itself of its collection entirely, and start over with the new mission?
In this particular case, how often has the museum significantly changed
it's mission?  Over the years I have watched one institution vacillate
back and forth over its mission.  I have no proof of how that has
impacted their stewardship of collections but I do suspect that it was
not/has not been positive.
What I am implying here is that we need more information to reach any
conclusion in this particular case.  HOWEVER, it is certainly fuel for
good discussion and provoking thought.

this email, BTW, reflects the opinion of it's author which is not
necessarily shared by her employer (National Archives and Records
Administration) not the federal government of which NARA is a part
regardless of the fine wisdom which it exhibits...

>>> Ken Mark <[log in to unmask]> 11/8/2010 8:06 AM >>>
Candice,

I believe you have raised a good question and that you are spot on.  I
do
not believe exhibitions fall under the category of the proceeds going
back
to improve the collections.

Ken

Kenneth D. Mark
Director of the Oakes Museum

Messiah College
One College Ave. Box 3029
Grantham, PA 17055

Telephone: 717-796-1800 x 7190
FAX: 717-691-6046
Email: [log in to unmask]>>> Candace Perry <[log in to unmask]>
11/8/2010 8:55 AM >>>

All right.  I was simply posting because I have heard much concern
from
individuals in our greater community. Therefore it is
*controversial.*
Incidentally, I don*t think exhibitions are generally considered
appropriate
use of deaccession funds, and I do not think that the historical
society is
looking to improve their collection. Perhaps the mindset has changed.
Pardon me for offending you.
Candace Perry