From:
Talia Karim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:59:06 -0500
Hi,
This might be kind of a touchy subject, but I have a few questions
about commercial fossil dealing and museum policies. I am a grad
student in paleontology working on a research paper on this topic and I
was wondering if any of your museums have specific policies about
whether or not to accept material collected by commercial fossil
dealers? Also do you have policies on whether to accept unique material
even if the origins are dubious? I know that this is not allowed by
UNESCO but i curious as to people's opinions as well on this subject.
I have read arguments for obtaining these fossils so that they will end
up in a museum and not a private collection.
thanks in advance for any thoughts on this!
talia