From:
Melissa Rosengard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2005 13:48:27 -0800
I've seen both - Body Worlds 1 and Body Worlds 2, and I'm going back to LA
with my two kids later this month so they can see Body Worlds 2 while it's
still there (Body Worlds 1 is now at the Field Museum) It's really quite an
important exhibit, and the California Science Center staff did an amazing
job at pr and communications so that any controversies would be minimized.
My understanding is that they put together an advisory group of
representatives from different faiths, and others to discuss the content and
their particular viewpoints. It seems to have been a really respectful
process. I don't want to give out inaccurate numbers, but suffice to say
that this exhibition has been a huge success for them in terms of
attendance, and new memberships.

For those of you interested in the controversies issue, the Western Museums
Association annual meeting in the fall will feature a session on the topic -
in addition to a presentation from a staff member at CSC about Body Worlds,
the session will feature a speaker from the Oakland Museum talking about
their recent exhibit "What's Going On? - California and the Vietnam Era,"
and an artist from the Bay Area who had a graphic arts printer refuse to
print several of his works for an exhibition that they found
"objectionable". In addition, we'll have another entire session on the
issues surrounding exhibition of gun collections.

If you are interested, the preliminary program will be posted soon at
www.westmuse.org.

Melissa Rosengard
Western Museums Association