From:
Dirk Van Tuerenhout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 15:32:33 -0500
Reading the flurry of messages that resulted of the Smithsonian - ID
interaction and following the ongoing "debate" in Kansas and other
states regarding the inclusion of ID in the science curriculum, I am
left with only one question: what can scientists do to present their
side of the issue?

I would like to hear from others what they think would be an effective
way of conveying to the general public what science is all about.
Specifically, how can we show people how evolution works, how it
pertains to all of us, and yet avoid making it boring?  What new
technologies exist that would help present this information in a way
that captures people's imagination, draws them in and helps them
understand this potentially confusing topic?

I have seen wonderful displays on human evolution (The AMNH display and
the Museum of Man in San Diego come to mind). I wonder if others could
share what they have seen and what works and what does not.

The challenge coming from creationists and ID proponents is real. Anyone
thinking differently is sadly mistaken.  I think we all know that.
However, where do we go from here?  Sustained efforts are necessary to
present the case of evolution. We can not afford to remain passive and
hope that this will all go away. It will not.  I am looking forward to
the input and ideas from all of you out there.

Thanks,

Dirk Van Tuerenhout, Ph.D.
Curator of Anthropology
Houston Museum of Natural Science.