From:
"Wick, Charles Harrison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 14:17:36 -0500
One thing I've never understand is the city ordinance to sand down the faces
of tombstones in cemeteries.  I know this is done to make the stones look
better and prevent the build up of further corrosion, but from a
preservationist point-of-view, continual sanding will eventually render the
gravemarkers unreadable (because I know noone is going to go back and try to
retrace the inscriptions).  I went down to visit a historic cemetery in
Gloucester Co., Va. and noticed this practice being performed on several
17th/18th century markers, which were probably barely readable before this
was done.  Does anyone know who (what office) should be contacted on a
governmental level or city level to prevent this?

Harrison Wick, MLS, MA.
Acquisitions Coordinator.