From:
Gerri Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 13:46:06 -0700
Sarah - I can appreciate your frustation. I work in a medium sized
anthrology & natural history museum in Mesa, AZ. I am curator of the art &
mineral collections. We all wear many different hats here. If you have any
one you remotely know that works in a museum or gallery, have them do an
introduction (written or verbal) for you. Many times it's not what you
know, but who you know. Would any of your professors do an introduction for
you? Don't forget places like Sothebys. They always use people with your
background. There are several large fine art auction houses in Chicago. Not
to mention many art galleries. Your best bet is to network. Most of these
jobs are never advertised, they are filled by word of mouth.
Good Luck. Gerri

From: Sarah Clark <[log in to unmask]>@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM> on 09/19/2001
      02:06 AM EDT

Please respond to Museum discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

Sent by:  Museum discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

cc:
Subject:  What will an Art History degree get you these days?

Hello everyone, my name is Sarah Clark and I am a recent graduate of
Rutgers
University with a degree in Art History and Administration of Justice. I am
becoming  frustrated with my job search which has proved to be very
unsuccessful. I have searched every website I can find, including
classifieds, and found little. The positions I have found required someone
with previous experience, which I don't have. Even gallery receptionist
positions have proved unsuccesful because I have recieved no call backs. I
wonder, am I going about this the wrong way? I also have difficulty because
am in between California and New York until I find a permanent job. My
ideal
location is New York but it seems as if there are very limited
opportunities.
Should I just begin e-mailing my resume to every gallery I can find? I
would
appreciate any advice.

Thanks for hearing me out,

Sarah Clark