From:
Laura Dell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 17:04:30 -0400
I don't think front line staff should have their last names on name tags
for security reasons.

I personally had a bad experience with a guest about ten years ago when I
was working on the front line in a zoo.  In short the guest brought me
flowers, wrote me letters, and asked me to go out with him for two years.
 Eventually people would see him coming, temporarily relieve me from my
post, and then tell him I didn't work there anymore.  I have an unusual
last name, there are only about 15 people in our local phone book with it
and I'm the only one with the first initial "L."  I'm very easy to look
up in phone book.  Since then when I've worked on a museum floor, I only
wear name tags without my last name on them.

As we all know, some very strange people come to museums/public
institutions and we should protect our staff.  If you are concerned about
guests being able to identify individual staff members, use first names
and last initials.

Sorry, this is one of my soap boxes!

Laura Dell
WCET, Ch. 48 (Cincinnati,PBS)
Educational Services

On Thu, 27 May 1999 13:28:24 -0700 Tina Hawkinson <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>Hi everyone,
>I want to know how all of you feel about the front line staff in your
>museums wearing name badges with first and last names on them, and
>what your
>experiences have been with it.  We get anywhere from 30,000 to 70,000
>visitors a month at our museum here in San Francisco. I'm
>specifically
>interested in issues of staff safety in broadcasting the first and
>last name
>of staff who work the front lines.  I appreciate any feedback on
>this.
>Thanks!

>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
>http://museums.state.nm.us/nmmnh/museum-l.html. You may obtain
>detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line
>e-mail message to [log in to unmask] The body of the message
>should read "help" (without the quotes).
>
>If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message
>[log in to unmask] The body of the message should read
>"Signoff
>Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Laura A.B. Dell

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Museum-L" (without the quotes).