Date:
Mon, 6 May 2002 15:03:20 -0500
Patricia,
No,at this time I am not aware the northern Cree tribe has been contacted. The
collection,which my class is storing, is from Frank Russell's expedition to
the far north 1892-1894. In our anthropology office, June Helm is professor
emeritus. She has work with the Dogrib tribe. June worked on the return of a
Dogrib teepee to the tribe. A very spiritual an moving experience for the
tribe. See the web site:
http://pwnhc.learnnet.nt.ca/exhibits/lodgeproject.htm. The tribe made a copy
of the teepee and returned the one purchased by Frank Russell.
I am doing my own research on the Dogrib childs rattle and the Cree Indian
fire bag. I tried to send out an e-mail to the Dogrib tribe, but it crashed
the eudora mail server. I will be trying to send another email. I have spent
time at the office of the State Archeologist talking to Cindy Peterson. She
gave me the best information on how to research what kind of beads my fire bag
has. In her opinion, Karlis Karkins is the best authority on beads in North
America.
He has a web page under the Society of Bead Researchers.
The University of Iowa Natural History Museum has Iowa Hall,which is specific
to Iowas history (there is also the William & Eleanor Hageboeck Hall of Birds
and Mammal Hall). We have the Mesquwakie tribal culture represented. Please
view our web site at: www.uiowa.edu/~nathist.

I appreciated your response. Thank you. You have brought a good point, about
the spiritual beliefs we might consider for storing objects in our future
jobs. This is something we did not cover in class,seeing how these items were
purchased.

Respectfully,
Lynette