From:
Melissa Wraalstad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 09:13:06 -0800
Dear Alicia,
We just got done working with a film crew from a public
television station.  Although I didn't work with the
crew directly, I do know what we did.

Fortunately, the crew was very dedicated and willing to
work with us.  I agree with others on this list that
stated you need set boundaries upfront on what they can
and cannot do, what can and cannot be filmed, etc.

Also, find out as much about the project as possible
before you agree to anything.  Make sure you agree with
the intent behind the filming before letting them do
it.  Ask them, what kind of student film is this going
to be?  Is it to showcase the museum? Is it to use the
museum as a background setting?  Is it a short movie?
Documentary?

We received an outline of what the crew wanted to do
and where they wanted to do it.  I know working with a
student is different than working with a professional
crew, but they should still be able to provide you with
a basic outline of what they want to do.

We also had one member of the staff with them at
(nearly) all times.  That removed that person from
their regular duties, yes, but it was to our benefit to
make sure that the film crew had a museum liaison.  We
tried, as much as possible, to make sure it was the
same person with them for each visit.  That person was
then able to answer questions about the museum, in
addition to providing supervision to the film crew.

Sincerely,
Melissa Wraalstad, Special Events Coordinator
Old World Wisconsin
S103 W37890 Hwy. 67, Eagle, WI 53149
262-594-6309