From:
David Hupert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 16:53:06 -0500
At 12:52 PM 10/13/97 -0400, you wrote:
>10/13
>
>    I am looking for some suggestions about what to say about the
>social/cultural significance of bicycles for an exhibits course.  I am a
>graduate student in public history at Northeastern.

I see that you have already been given a lot of advice so I will limit mine.
If you want a successful exhibition, think more about what to show than
what to say.  Let the objects carry the conversation.  Unless you only want
the exhibition to be the illustrations for a text.
Try looking at the role of the female in advertising posters for bicycles
during the 1880's and 90's, especially in France and England.  Pryor
Dodge's new book has some good examples.  Put them into a historical
context and, presto, lots of conjecture about social and cultural
significance.

Have a good time with it.

David Hupert