From:
"Marietta, Melissa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 13:12:46 -0400
I actually posted a question about this last year.  Our interns and part-time staff wear a uniform of a polo and khaki pants.  We have a pretty frank explanation of what that looks like even though it seems that a polo and khaki uniform is very straightforward. Many of our staff still manage to make dress blunders with the uniform.  If you do not want a uniform, which is just fine, a policy should be in place.  I agree with all that has been said in the previous emails- be explicit with your interns and younger staff.  They deserve to hear what is the standard for professional dress.  I also think that it is easier for women to speak with women and men to men if an issue arises (like your butt crack is hanging out or do not wear a black bra under a white blouse). I've learned that I want our staff to notice our interns for the amazing contributions they are making to our museum, not their short skirts and giant hoop earrings.
Melissa Marietta
National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum