From:
"Mark, Ken" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2013 14:23:00 +0000
Heather,

I am a director of a Natural History museum on a college campus.  We are under the Provost office because our mission is educational to the college and the community.   However, we do work closely with the Development office.  We have a policy on receiving gifts from donors that was written by our Oakes Museum Committee and approved by the college's Board of Trustees.

Basically, the policy stipulates the museum cannot accept any gifts that do not pertain to our existing collections.  The development office knows this policy.  If they are asked by a donor if our museum would take a tiger, they would contact me.  A tiger will not compliment any of the museum's collections.  I would tell the development office that fact and the discussion ends.

If something comes to the Development office that does pertain to our collections, I take it to the Oakes Museum Committee for discussion and a vote on whether to accept it or not.

They have not lost any donors because of this policy or I am sure I would have heard about it.  The policy has been in effect for 6 years and has been tested approximately five times.

In my opinion, this explanation boils down to the fact that we are under the Provost office not the Development office and a policy is in place which has been approved by the college Board of Trustees.

Ken Mark
Director, Oakes Museum of Natural History