From:
Robyn Langlie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 01:20:33 +0000
Hello all,

Recently I have been assigned to researching and writing a preventive
conservation (housekeeping) plan for our Regional Collections Facility (one
archives storage room, one 3-D or natural and cultural room) as well as the
two Public Lands Information Centers (two different cities) that we are in
charge of collections (over 1 million objects). We serve as a repository and
support center for the 16 National Parks in Alaska and have collections from
around the state as well as our own.  I have several examples of National
Park Service Museum Housekeeping Plans, but would like to see other museum's
plans if you are willing to share.  I am particularly interested in
schedules and task lists for cleaning Exhibits. Most of our exhibits are
wildlife mounts, some in open air up high and others enclosed in plexiglass
cases.  How often is it necessary to get in and clean or better yet, what is
actually feasable?  How much do museum folks end up really deep cleaning
these types of exhibits as compared to what's written down? And what
training do you require for those cleaning these collections?  Can
volunteers be utilized or must it be professionals- or does it depend on the
collection, or your board, or bosses?

Thanks for any help you may have! Please send emails regarding this subject

Robyn Langlie
Museum Technician
Alaska Regional Curatorial Center
National Park Service