From:
James Tichgelaar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 15:22:32 -0500
Hi, Heidi. You could just send the collection to me for "safe keeping"
;-)

Otherwise: first, seal the cabinet the best you can.  The silica gel
will work better if it isn't sucking in humid air from outside.  You can
bake the gel in an oven to release the moisture that it has absorbed
(much easier than trying to condition to an exact RH).  You might be
able to get some more gel by asking at a local motorcycle or car parts
store (Harleys are crated with big bags of the stuff, we got some
donated from a shop here).  The metal parts are best stored under 20
percent, but the wood needs at least 40 percent to prevent cracking.
Without a controlled environment, you will probably not be able to get
the humidity that low, but try to keep it consistent by giving regular
attention to the silica gel.  You can use the colored indicating beads
mixed in with the regular beads to determine when you need to bake the
gel.

If you can't seal the cabinet, try to package each gun individually with
it's own desiccant.  However, you can do more damage if you trap
moisture in a sealed package.

Second, coat the guns with a thin coat of Renaissance Wax to limit the
formation of rust.  Brass wool (softer than steel wool, available from
marine supply houses) can be used to carefully remove any loose rust
before waxing the gun.  Do not apply pressure (which will leave
scratches) or use on silver or nickel plated parts (ask a conservator if
in doubt).

Good luck.

--
James H Tichgelaar
Registrar, Arkansas State University Museum

"All we ever wanted was everything.  All we ever got was cold."

Museum-L" (without the quotes).